Friday, May 7, 2010

Moving day.

Wow. Weird to think that this school year is already over. That. Flew. By. To be honest, I have loved my time up at USU so far. A lot of people close to me might not believe that because it seems like I came home every weekend, but I am a proud utah state student.
To be honest, this year at school has been one of the best growing opportunities that I've had. My natural predisposition is to not want to grow, because growing can hurt, but now that I'm at the end of the school year I get to look back and think about how "worth it" it was.
To recap: when I got home from my mission I went straight to UVU. Why? Because it was only 20-something miles from home, because all of my friends went there, I was really familiar with the area, it was an easy place to be, but to be fair it was also because it seemed like the right place to be at that time. I don't regret my time spent there. However, at that time I didn't have any huge academic or professional goals. I didn't have any huge life goals (still really don't... but they are coming soon. I am in the "thinking about them" stage of that process... which I've decided is an important stage), and for all intents and purposes (I love that cliche`) I was just kind of 'there'. Well, a little over a year ago I started to realize that I wasn't satisfied being a UVU student, because I realized that I was just there because that was the easy place to be and not necessarily because that was the best place for me to be. So I started to consider where the best place for me to be was. Anyways, long story short (another great cliche`) I decided that place was utah state, so I followed my gut and got myself up there even though I knew it might not be the easiest place for me. I was right. All of the things that made UVU easy made USU a bit more difficult. I was now 100 and something miles from home, none of my close friends went there, I wasn't overly familiar with the school or area or anything. I'm not a person who loves to step out of my comfort zone... at all, and this last school year put me in a situation where I had to push myself out of my comfort zone on a regular basis. I wasn't perfect at this, but I got a lot better at it than I was.
Now that we're caught up... the other night while I was packing up all of my stuff I had some cool movie-like flashbacks of some of my memories from the last year and it gave me good time to think about the lessons I've learned over the last year. I won't go into detail over all of the things that occurred to me but I'll put it this way: I've learned that some of my favorite moments in life are the times when I can look down at the trail I've just climbed and realize that even though it was a tough climb, there's no doubt I was guided to get to where I am right now. I'm so grateful to have our Heavenly Father, and I'm so glad that He hasn't forgotten me. I really appreciate the times in life when I get the chance to slow down, look back and recognize that He's been guiding me along this path the whole time. This gives me faith that the direction I'm currently heading in is the right one. Life is an awesome journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment